The Epistle to the Philippians [Plagiarism Acknowledged]
N.B. In 2016, accusations of plagiarism were leveled against several works by Australian New Testament scholar Peter T. O'Brien. After a careful investigation by the respective publishers, it was concluded that—whether intentional or not—the volumes in question failed to conform to the appropriate standards for the use and documentation of secondary resources. Following this conclusion, the decision was made to immediately remove the works from print and destroy the remaining stock. This particular monograph is included among those works. The official statements from the three publishers of O'Brien's works can be found here: Eerdmans; Zondervan; InterVarsity Press.
In this commentary, Peter O'Brien presents a rich exposition of Philippians. Based on careful historical-critical-linguistic exegesis of the Greek text, O'Brien's commentary is fundamentally theological and makes available to the serious student of the New Testament the fruits of recent scholarship. While interacting with a wide range of scholarly material on Philippians, O'Brien has attempted primarily to wrestle with and comment on the text as the Word of God rather than to provide mini-histories of exegesis.
O'Brien examines each paragraph of the text structurally, thematically, and exegetically to determine its place within the flow of the letter's argument and in the light of Paul's purpose for writing the epistle.
This book appears in the following featured collections.
- John Piper's NT Commentary Recommendations by Desiring God Ministries (John Piper)
- Favorite Advanced Commentaries (NT) by Jeremy Pierce (parableman)
- Recommended NT Commentaries by Denver Seminary Journal
- D. A. Carson's "Best Buys" by D. A. Carson
- Best Exegetical Commentaries by Jim Rosscup
- Ultimate Commentary Collection - NT Technical by John Glynn
- Essential Commentaries for a Preacher's Library - NT by Derek Thomas
- Essential Pauline Commentaries by Marcus Maher
- New Testament Advanced Commentaries by Moore College Journal: Societas
- Cambridge Chinese Christian: Recommended Commentaries by Calvin Cheah
- Building a Commentary Library - New Testament by Invitation to Biblical Interpretation
- The Pastor’s Bookshelf by Scot McKnight